What’s required of a charity trustee, including your responsibilities to your charity.
Charity trustees are the people who share ultimate responsibility for governing a charity and directing how it is managed and run. They may be called trustees, the board, the management committee, governors, directors or something else.
This guidance explains what being a trustee involves, including:
- what trustees do
- who can be a trustee and how trustees are appointed
- their legal responsibilities
- specific trustee roles of chair and treasurer
You should read this guidance if you are:
- a trustee of any charity based in England or Wales
- thinking about setting up a charity or becoming a trustee in England or Wales